Thursday, April 29, 2010

Little Miss Skirt Tutorial

                                        Here is the tutorial that I posted over at seven thirty three!


Supply List
*sewing machine
*thread
*2 pieces of coordinating fabrics
*straight pins
*scissors
*rotary
*cutting mat
*rotary cutter
*Texture magic
*tape measure
*iron
*elastic

First of all have any of you heard of TEXTURE MAGIC? Well let me tell you it is FaBuLoUs! It comes in a package that looks like this...


               Sorry about the glare, this is what happens when you craft at night (no natural sun light).

1. Measure
My daughter is a size 12 months, so you might have to adjust your measurements.  First of all measure about how long you want the skirt to be off of the waist of the little darling that you are making the skirt for. Mine falls a little below the knees!  For the bottom layer of the skirt you will add 2 inches to the bottom and 4 inches to the top for a total of six inches plus your desired length. I measured my daughter at 8 inches and added 6 to equal 14 inches for the width.  My length was 26 inches!

2. Texture Magic
I took my 1/2 yard of fabric and laid it face down.  Then take your texture magic out and lay it on top of the fabric and pin in place. It should look similar to this.



3. Sew texture magic onto fabric. Sew on top of the texture magic side. Take a rounded zigzag stitch up and down over the entire piece. I had to make my stitch length longer. It should look something like this...

4. Heat the texture magic.  The directions on the texture magic package tells you how to do this.  Take the iron directly above the texture magic and it will start to shrink. Do not apply straight onto the texture magic, just hold it above it. Isn't it amazing what it does! I am in LOVE with this stuff!

5.  Cut your texture magic piece. I cut mine 8 inches wide by 26 inches long.  This will be the top of your skirt.

6.  Fold under and pin each side that is 25 inches long. Then you will need to sew along each edge to give it a finished look.



7.  Put your top piece of the skirt off to the side and grab your other piece of fabric. We are now going to create the underneath layer of the skirt. Cut your fabric according to the size you need! Measurements on step 1.

8.  First you will need to fold bottom of the skirt 1/2 inches under and pin it.  Then sew along that piece to create the hem of the skirt. 


9.  Now for the other side. Repeat step 8, then you will need to fold down the fabric 2 inches and sew a straight line down to create your casing. It should look similar to this.


10. Attach the top of the skirt to the bottom of the skirt. Lay the textured magic piece on top of the other piece of fabric with both right sides facing out.  Then pin the top part onto the bottom piece. You will NOT need to do this to the bottom. This piece is designed to just hang down!


11.  Put the elastic through the casing. The easiest way to do this is to attach a safety pin to the end of the elastic to help pull it through.

12. Once your elastic is all the way through then bunch up your material along the elastic.  Pin the two pieces together.

13. Fold the skirt in half with right side facing right side. Make sure to pin it so that the top of the texture piece meets with the other side of the texture piece. In the picture I didn't fold it all the way, so you could see what to do.


 14. Sew along the edge to connect the skirt together.

15. Cut any loose strings and the end of the elastic.

If you want you could make a shirt to go with it and matching hair clips. I am so into pinwheels right now, that I made a pinwheel shirt and matching pinwheel hair clips to go with the skirt. For the pinwheel tutorial you can go here. I am including a picture of my daughter in her completed outfit.

If any part doesn't make sense or you have any questions than you can email me at nightowlcrafting@hotmail.com.

 



13 comments:

  1. I was poking around your blog and being extremely jealous over your mad sewing skills when I saw your super cute carrots! Your little carrots made my day! Thanks for liking them so much!! :)
    I so wish that i could sew like you. Heck-I can't even turn the dang machine on! Yep-I am special like that!
    So glad I found you and can't wait to see what else you come up with!!!
    Happy Thursday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm your newest follower from Friday Follow. LOVE the skirt...never heard of Texture Magic, will have to get some and try it!! Come check out my blog if you get a chance...we have a giveaway contest to enter, too!
    Jennifer
    http://www.thecraftbarn-ny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. your blog is so darn cute! It makes me smile. I am amazed by people who can sew and girl you can sew! I have a machine and at one time I was able to sew a straight line, well now I can't even remember how to make a silly bobbin. I will definitly keep checkin back! Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That skirt is too cute! I want to make one tomorrow! Cute little girlie in the picture as well :)

    <3

    Risa

    ReplyDelete
  5. That skirt is adorable!! I cannot sew to save my life :( Hopefully someday...visiting from TT&J and now your newest follower! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I adore your sewing skills..sadly, my sewing machine still lies somewhere lost in a shipping consignment..I can't wait for it to arrive so I can copy your works!
    Thanks for visiting my blog and brightening up my day!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is adorable. I have never seen or heard of that product, but it looks so cool.

    Glad I stopped by from New Friend Friday!

    Your blog is very pretty. I love the happy colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The skirt came out so well. Stopping from Mom Loop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable! stoppy by from tatertots and jello!

    ReplyDelete
  10. visiting from New Friend Friday at The Girl Creative. Very cool blog! Love you tutes!
    Angela
    A Mama with 2 Cents Worth to Share
    amamas2centsworth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. what an adorable baby with her new skirt. Thanks for visiting me, I'm a new follower. I'll link up to your party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by. That skirt is adorable. I think I'll stay here and look around a while. Maybe I'll develop some mad sewing skills. My next Organizing party is May 12th. I would love it if you could come. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate when readers leave comments! I read each one of them and I get all excited to see HOOOO is taking interest in my post! Thanks so much for taking the time to write a few words it makes my day!