Thursday, March 31, 2011

Guest Blogger ~Sweet Peas and Bumblebees


I am so excited to introduce you to our guest blogger today!
Her name is Briana and she is from Sweet Peas and Bumblebees!

So I will let Briana take it away!


Hi!  I’m Briana from the blog, Sweet Peas and Bumblebees
I’m a wife to a wonderful man, mom to 2 adorable little ones, full-time teacher, crafter {when I can find time}, and newbie blogger.  While I’ve been crafting for as long as I can remember, I’ve just recently started blogging about it.  I’m seriously loving sharing my crafting ideas and have a list of crafts I want to complete a mile long! IMG_0777
My twin sister and I (I’m the one on the right!) both share our craft tutorials and recipes on our blog.  I hope you’ll stop by sometime to find some inspiration! 
I am SO thrilled and honored to be a guest posting over here at Night Owl Crafting!!!!  Thank you so much Leslie!!
Wood Block StackerIMG_0750
First you’ll need to get a 2x4.  The biggest reason I love this project is because of the price…if you don’t have a 2x4 lying around your garage they are so inexpensive to buy! 
Cut your blocks into the following lengths:
Soak:  6”
Lather:  8”
Enjoy:  6”
IMG_0752
Then, using an electric sander, sand the edges until they are rounded and smoothed.  {You could definitely do it by hand if you’re so inclined!}
IMG_0795
Now for the paint!  My bathroom is grey so I decided to start by painting my sanded blocks that color, knowing that the majority of the front surface would be covered with scrapbook paper.  {And, I finally found a use for those frequently purchased diaper boxes! =) }
IMG_0918
After the paint has dried completely it’s time for Mod Podge!!  {I heart you Mod Podge!!!} 
IMG_0917
Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to the front of the block and smooth down your coordinating paper precut to the dimensions of the front of the block. 
IMG_0919
I don’t wait for the first layer of Mod Podge to dry, I immediately coat the top of the scrapbook paper with another thick layer of Mod Podge.  {Pretty sure I’m not following the Mod Podge directions but it all turns out okay!} 
I like to see the brush strokes, so I add quite a bit!  Using an old credit card, or something similar, smooth out any excess bubbles.  As it is drying, it will seem to bubble slightly.  **Don’t stress…they seem to flatten out as it dries!**
IMG_0921
I like the rustic look, so using sand paper, I roughed up the edges and took some of the paint off of the edges.
Now it’s time for the vinyl!  Using my Sure Cuts A Lot 2 software and my favorite font, Larger Mine, I cut out the letters using my Cricut.  {What did I ever do without you Sure Cuts A Lot!?!?!  SO much easier!}  I apologize, but I don’t have any pictures of this step.
IMG_0992
Now stack the blocks and you’re finished!  The top of my bathroom cupboard is looking better already!  Next on my project list…spruce up that old jar!  Love it, but it’s not quite right!
Thanks again Leslie for having me! 
Stop by Sweet Peas and Bumblebees anytime!
Briana_signature

5 comments:

  1. Super cute idea! And easy too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hiya , this project is great and the simple , detailed tut. is fab
    tfs
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! And I need get some Mod Podge. You can do anything with Mod Podge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is cute...never used Mod Podge...another crafting venture to try!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate when readers leave comments! I read each one of them and I get all excited to see HOOOO is taking interest in my post! Thanks so much for taking the time to write a few words it makes my day!